Wednesday 20 April 2011

A nice day for a white wedding

A friend of mine from work got married yesterday and I was invited to the evening do. It had been a really lovely day here, sunny and warm and so I dressed accordingly - short black polka dot dress, purple tights and was rather pleased with my outfit until my friend's eleven month old son gave me what I imagine was a disapproving look (along the lines of 'what are you doing going out dressed like that!' - my dress wasn't actually that short!). So I changed into a black maxi and instantly felt more comfortable.  I headed off in a taxi to the Dunadry Hotel which is really beautiful. I had never been there before and it wasn't quite what I expected. I love old buildings (or at least buildings that look old) and had been expecting something quite modern so it was a nice surprise. I sat in the entrance for a bit, just looking around and drinking in the atmosphere. I could imagine someone from years gone by going about their business in that place.

I realised after a few minutes I looked like a bit of a numptie just sitting staring into space so I decided to go and be sociable. I saw the bride and groom (Shoina and David) and they both looked lovely. I sat at the bar for a while with another work friend and chatted for a bit then it was time to go in to the ballroom to listen to the fantastic band and watch the first dance. The band were great, they did an amazing version of 'Folsom Prison Blues' to start off with and a few songs later it was time for the first dance. It was to 'The Way You Look Tonight' and was lovely (as first dances tend to be!)

 The ballroom was beautifully decorated with fairy lights behind the curtains and gorgeous tea light holders on all the tables. There was a portrait of a lady on the far wall although I couldn't quite work out who it was. It looked like it had been painted either 17th/18th century and I was very tempted to cross the dancefloor in a bid to identify it (but I didn't.) After a few more songs it was time to wish the bride and groom a happy honeymoon and head home.

No comments:

Post a Comment