Sunday 17 April 2011

The Truman Show

I first saw this film years ago when I was at university and loved it, but hadn't seen it for years until I was randomly flicking through the channels last night and noticed that it was on. It is a truly fascinating film. It's the story of a man called Truman Burbank who lives a seemingly perfect life until one day he starts questioning things. He finds out that he's actually a character in a TV show which is shown 24/7 and the TV show has followed his life from his birth right up until the present time.

One of the most moving parts of the film for me is the ending, when Truman opens the door and leaves the life that had been created for him. Just before that, the show's creator Christoph asks him 'How do you know the world out there is any better than the one I created for you?' It is a good question. In life, when we do something that's completely different from what we have done before, when we step outside our comfort zone we ask ourselves 'How do we know that it's any better?' We don't. But sometimes we have to take a chance and do something that might surprise even ourselves.

2 comments:

  1. I find that very moving too. Maybe I should watch the film! I think it's not easy to leave something behind and have faith that there may be something better for you outside. Not easy at all. What makes us do it? Sometimes we are forced; sometimes curiosity gets the better of us. Courage can go up and down but life is always full of infinite possibilities even if we can't always see them. You just never know what to expect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah
    Thanks for your comment, I would recommend the film and I think you would enjoy it. You are right in that life there are infinite possibilities, I sometimes look back on things that have happened and wonder how different my life would be if I hadn't made certain choices (like going to university in Edinburgh, taking a job in Belfast etc) but I don't think my life would have been any better or worse if I hadn't done those things, it would just have been different.

    ReplyDelete