Monday 23 May 2011

Next project!

I am kind of excited about this. It will mean doing lots of research, and finding out about life in seventeenth century Ireland, but I am looking forward to it. It is a period of history that I haven't really looked into in enormous depth before, and it will be a little break from my Tudors obsession.

I am going to write about this fascinating place.

It's Dunluce Castle, in County Antrim, and I grew up near here. It has always really gripped my imagination, every time I've visited I've always wondered what it would have been like to have lived there. Well, now I am going to give that imagination free rein. The period I am going to set my story in is around 1620 - 1640, probably leading up to the well-known incident of 1639 when part of the kitchens were washed into the sea (and some of the kitchen staff along with that part of the castle.) There was also a town nearby, sadly the only part of that left is the graveyard and the ruined church but my imagination is working overtime. Who would have lived in the town? What would it have looked like? Oh, I will have such fun researching this!

No comments:

Post a Comment