Tuesday 31 May 2011

Ghost Stories

I visited Springhill at the weekend. It's a beautiful 17th century National Trust House in Mid-Ulster, which is reputed to be haunted.  The story goes that a man shot himself in one of the bedrooms, his wife came in, saw that he had killed himself and ran away screaming, and the bedroom and indeed the entire house has been haunted by their ghosts ever since.
I must admit that I have always been slightly sceptical about the existence of ghosts. It is not something that my parents encouraged my brother and I to believe in when we were growing up, and I think that probably has something to do with the fact that I have never really believed that ghosts do exist. I have always thought that there had to be some kind of rational explanation for the experiences that people had.
I have had a few interesting experiences though. When I went on a tour of the South Bridge vaults in Edinburgh with some friends I was sure I felt a draught at one point. Even though we were underground and there was no air. And when I went to Mary King's Close I actually felt very emotional at one point (although it could have been the power of suggestion both times). On Saturday when we were in the haunted bedroom I felt very cold and also felt at one point as if there was a draught blowing across the room. Were those really paranormal experiences or the product of my imagination or is there another, more scientific explanation? I'm not too sure. What I have decided though, is that I will keep an open mind about the existence of ghosts.

No comments:

Post a Comment